*Registration Required, check BPL website for details*
Join the Boston Public Library in partnership with Mass Movement for two afternoons of online programming meant to outline subjects such as music compliance, music licensing, royalties, streaming, business registration, finances, marketing, and promotion. In addition to these information sessions, there will be hip hop performances by artists of local, national, and international renown.
Branding Boston‘s objective is to establish artists with an outlet to learn the ins and outs of the industry and be a platform for artists to become a brand that professionally operates as an official business. Furthermore, they employ all the elements of hip hop as an educational tool to develop and empower the socioeconomic state of our community.
Friday, January 29, 2 – 4 PM
The business session will include conversations with panelists Professor Tonya Butler, Chair of Music Business/Management at Berklee College of Music, and Supreme Richardson, CEO of Supreme Entertainment and moderator Money Mav, JAM’N 94.5FM On Air Talent.
- Professor Butler will discuss how to avoid getting scammed, especially during this age of COVID-19 when people are desperately in search of ways to make a living with their music.
- Supreme will discuss performance rights organizations (PRO) and how to use this outlet to ensure that songwriters and publishers are paid for the use of their music by using this platform to collect royalties.
African Man Born (aka A.M.B.) and Veana Marie will be the performers for this afternoon.
Saturday, January 30, 2 – 4 PM
The business session with include conversations with panelists Hot Mizz from Amnesty Records/Sony Entertainment, Twice Thou (Antonio Ansaldi) from internationally known Boston rap group The Almighty RSO, and DJ DMA, manager of a Grammy nominated producer. These conversations will be moderated by Jaypix, founder and owner of Moment of Flavor Media.
- HotMizz will discuss what every artist needs on their team and how focusing on partnering with key team members can begin to grow your business.
- Antonio Ansaldi will discuss his journey in the music industry and the key essentials needed to truly brand yourself effectively.
- DJ DMA will discuss the negotiation process between artists and producers, what both need to know and should watch out for when exchanging services, and why proper representation is important especially for producers.
Tony Wilson and Shy Gawdly will be the performers for this afternoon.